Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Tell us abut the sound environment of where you live
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.27.2007, 08:23 AM   #1
sarramkrop

Possibly with all the changes that might have occured over the years. I'm all ears.

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 08:25 AM   #2
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
my town is built completely around a park, Sutton park, it is one of the largest urban parks in Europe and the largest outside a capital city; it is smaller than Richmond Park in London, but larger than the Phoenix Park in Dublin which both claim to be the largest in the continent.
The Park covers 900.1 hectares (2224.2 acres / 9.0 km²), with a mix of heathland, wetlands and marshes, seven lakes, extensive ancient woodlands (covering approximately a quarter of the Park). Its the only thing we have, its huge and fantastic, teenagers have been going there for years to get stoned or hang out or kill themselves.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 08:26 AM   #3
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
A mixture of traffic from outside, African music coming in from people who live upstairs and Grime pumping out of people's car stereos.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 08:29 AM   #4
sarramkrop

Up until last week, I would generally detect the sound of police sirens, the screaming of a family at war and my noisy flatmates. The only notable noise that I've spotted in my new crib is the one of some dude constantly practicing on his guitar in a house in front of mine, plus people playing football outside.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 08:33 AM   #5
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
is he playing the beginning to Come As You Are over and over and over again?
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 08:35 AM   #6
sarramkrop

He sounds like a perfectionist. I swear he played the same riff for over an hour straight.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 08:37 AM   #7
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
He sounds like a perfectionist. I swear he played the same riff for over an hour straight.

You sure you don't live in front of Sleep?
Old 06.27.2007, 08:54 AM   #8
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
- sound of my hippie neigbor looking like bouncer from Amsterdam S/M club (leather pants, pierced face) - he's constantly playing Grateful Dead and singing to it and I hear it through the wall
- sound of my roommate playing violin - he's actually a top-notch player, really talented
- sound of kids playing in the park behind the back yard

And now comes the best part:

- sound of nearby airport, railroad AND motorway. (yes, I got'em all three in the neigborhood)

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 08:57 AM   #9
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
- sound of my hippie neigbor looking like bouncer from Amsterdam S/M club (leather pants, pierced face) - he's constantly playing Grateful Dead and singing to it and I hear it through the wall
- sound of my roommate playing violin - he's actually a top-notch player, really talented
- sound of kids playing in the park behind the back yard

And now comes the best part:

- sound of nearby airport, railroad AND motorway. (yes, I got'em all three in the neigborhood)

Wow. How do you sleep at night?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 09:08 AM   #10
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Usually on my back.

No, no, it's just, you know, you get used to it after a while. And now I find the sound of midnight trains rather soothing. Something like raindrops falling on your window when it rains.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 09:17 AM   #11
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Sounds of traffic, shouting teenagers and kids, shouting alcoholics and mouthy adults.
Old 06.27.2007, 09:43 AM   #12
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
shouting alcoholics and mouthy adults.

I thought he was asking more about sounds from outside.
Old 06.27.2007, 09:55 AM   #13
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
A mixture of mopeds <very annoying, bicycle bells, high heel shoes, children at play, seagulls, howling wind and the sea.
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 09:58 AM   #14
sarramkrop

[quote=Tokolosh]= high heel shoes=quote]

Sound evironment is not the same as the sound in your head, you know?

CLICK ON ME! CLICK ON ME! CLICK ON ME! CLICK ON ME! HARDER! FASTER! CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK!!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 10:00 AM   #15
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
I have pretty good sound isolation in my room, so the sound environment I live in mostly consists of the music I listen to, the sound of my acoustic guitar, which I can't play, and the sounds of my own bodily functions.

I live near a power plant, which makes low humming sound that I've got used to by now. Occasionally they're cranking it up and the volume is fucking infernal.

I live about a mile from the city center so the traffic noise around here is nonexistent.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 11:28 AM   #16
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
lawnmowers.
That's it.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 11:45 AM   #17
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
birds, plane flying over head.

berlin: cars, trams, old man coughing all the time and an amateur dj who thinks he is the chemical brothers, sunday morning church bells that always wake me.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 02:33 PM   #18
racehorse
100%

racehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's asses
animal sounds usually.
whenever i am awake i go into my bedroom to hear the cawwing of the seagulls waking up at about 3.00am. there are also two birds nests in our attic, so there are sparrows on one side and starlings on the other.
we also keep two budgies in an avary, they are perpetually chirping away.
we have a very yappy dog as well, who barks at anything that moves.
racehorse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 03:02 PM   #19
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
In my house - a cornucopia of sounds from my housemates. One of them is into most strains of dance post 1990 (and knows his shit better than nearly anyone else I've met) and one of them's into a gash-load of classical.

In the street - the pub a few doors down, the birds and kids twittering in the park over the road, the teenage mothers playing football on the street (seriously, there's three of them kicking a ball around at the moment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 03:07 PM   #20
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
It would honestly not be uncommon to hear or come across something like this in my 'hood': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmVx5YwdmSg
Which is usually played at high volume in low rider trucks.

Other than that, beat up cars making awful howls, the ghetto bird making its rounds, and general crazies making whatever obscene noise they can.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth