Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page tech question
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.29.2010, 04:27 PM   #1
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
i plugged my usb mp3 player into my friends computer at his house to play some of the music, i left it in there for hours and then when i went to take it out it said something about syncronising that i cant remember, does this mean all the files copied onto his computer or would i have to have specifically clicked something for that to happen?
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2010, 04:49 PM   #2
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
i plugged my usb mp3 player into my friends computer at his house to play some of the music, i left it in there for hours and then when i went to take it out it said something about syncronising that i cant remember, does this mean all the files copied onto his computer or would i have to have specifically clicked something for that to happen?

tl;dr

I think if anything synchronised then it's more likely the other way round, from his computer to your mp3 player.
Or at least my mp3 player (Creative) gave me that message once or twice when it was plugged in and then it was copying media files (pictures/audio/video) from the "my documents" folder onto the mp3 player.

So I reckon if you had any secret files on there you're probably safe... but if your friend's got blackmailable stuff in his "My Documents" folder... hmmm.

Whether you have to specifically click on something or not depends on your settings. Most likely, when you plugged it in a box with options appeared, like "windows detected a portable device, would you like to play the media files, view the folders in explorer, synchronise blabla, etc.. and then you may have clicked something without noticing. There's usually also an auto-synch option that makes it synchronise automatically every time it's plugged in, but you probably would've noticed that before.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2010, 05:04 PM   #3
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
its not blackmailable, its just backups of personal writing i would be quite embarrassed if he saw or showed to anyone else.

so if there is an auto sync button i may have accidently clicked would that mean it copied onto his? i remember when i went to remove it it said something about windows media player syncronising. i clicked cancel and just pulled it out, or maybe i had pulled it out then clicked cancel.
Old 01.29.2010, 05:19 PM   #4
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
I think the idea of synchronising is to update your mp3 player with the most popular (i.e. frequently played) files from your computer, so it seems unlikely to me that files would have been copied the other way around, from your mp3 player to his computer... but I never use it so I'm not 100% sure. Try checking your mp3 player on mp3/jpegs etc that weren't on it before.

edit:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-HK/w...sked-questions

says:
What is sync?

In the Player, sync is the process by which digital media files are copied from your Player library to a portable device, after which you can play the files on the device.

So probably it only works one way, from computer to portable device.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2010, 05:23 PM   #5
ni'k
invito al cielo

ok thanks. i freaked the fuck out there but am just relaxed now.

i remember hearing something about how paranoia and jealousy only go away when you loose something close to you. this has happened with my and my so called art (the writing on the usb) that i have been carrying around for years unfinished. so i am just not going to worry and finish it and get rid of it and free myself of this crap forever. arg.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth