View Single Post
Old 10.11.2013, 02:21 AM   #18013
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
They're on a Brian De Palma spree on tv.
I watched Blow Out and eventually liked it more than the dubbed version I remembered (I'd keep thinking I was hearing Gérard Depardieu's voice whenever Travolta spoke, and Nancy Allen's French voice harmed her acting).
So I decided to give Obsession another try - I hadn't liked it at all some 20 years ago.
I thought then that Cliff Robertson was terrible.
Three years ago maybe I saw him in Samuel Fuller's Underground USA; the film was grrrrreat and Robertson was no stranger to that.
Today's verdict on Obsession: terrible with glimpses of wow; Bernard Herrmann's music is too present, the light doesn't seem to fit the story, there's no tempo, the plot is ludicrous, a camera move reminding me of Contempt is out of place, Robertson doesn't play at all, John Lithgow's sudden impulse to reveal too much is cretinous... and yet... Geneviève Bujold is brilliant, the little girl part is splendid, the scales work, and Cliff Robertson's last (long) shot is truly great, as he delivers something quite astounding.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|