View Single Post
Old 05.27.2011, 03:14 AM   #14891
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Cube

8/10

I actually first saw this when I was 17. I was a sheltered child; it was of the first R-rated films I saw, and my first horror (the setting is kinda sci-fi, but the general plot/atmosphere is more in keeping with psychological horror) movie ever. I had never seen anything so graphic or heard dark ambient music like its soundtrack--basically, never exposed to anything so calculated to be as intense as possible and yet be intelligent about it. So naturally, it scared the crap out of me...I got as far as the part where they come across Rennes' body and think they're going in circles before I had to shut it off. Well, I decided to give it another try via the internet (how far we've come since 1999), and I have to say, I really enjoyed it! Not only did I conquer my fear of the movie, but I was also treated to an interesting story and a brillant show of what can be done with so little (the whole thing was shot in one room; they just changed the lighting behind the panels). Yeah, the woman who played the doctor was a little over the top (to think someone as irritable as her could be in charge of saving people's lives) and the some of the effects haven't aged particularly well, but overall, I ended up liking it a lot. Maybe I'll check out the sequel, but I doubt I'll check out the prequel (robbing the Cube of its ambiguity takes away some of its fearsomeness).