View Single Post
Old 09.18.2019, 09:47 PM   #283
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
it is definitely a selective read on my part but I can’t get over the fact that making a track like that is espousing some degree of hatred, irrespective of intent. and especially when the audience for this stuff like it or not isn’t exclusively able to exercise that critical distance (considering this is very much in the lineage of ‘masc angst’ music).

no one is saying that rap isn’t art here, quite the contrary. I think art is held to certain moral standards and yeah it may be transgressive but I don’t think that excuses using a lexicon that is obscenely hurtful to certain groups. comparing it to film is something else entirely because those are character studies; jpegmafia is coming at it from a singular cis male perspective and regardless of his unarguable lack of privilege in other facets of his life for him to co-opt the difficulties of others is just a bit much.

it’s ovviously separate from Dre and his domestic violence anthems or kanye west just being a general misogynistic pig, but if we’re going to apply a critical lens to all music then rap should be subjected to the same scrutiny.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|