View Single Post
Old 09.12.2013, 06:40 AM   #879
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Glad you discovered just how deep and meaningful this album is like I was talking about. It took me several months to really dive into the depth of this record, I only skimmed it when it came out, and though it was cool like the past few Killah Priest records, and then recently I was listening to it more carefully while doing my grading for the night, and it simply blew me away. As to why its totally underrated (which it is) you've already explained it perfectly, this is niche album towards hyper-conscious, deeply spiritual people. I was thinking, "How the fuck did I not notice this months ago?" Of course this is a Spirit infused album, and as such, the Holy Spirit works on His own time, and everything happens for a reason. I think that where I am at in my life now as opposed to where I was over the summer is much more conducive to let this album really sink in to my inner essence where it resonates to the core of my being. I mean that quite literally. I have concluded that as far as I am concerned, this is the single greatest hip-hop album I have ever experienced in the way it has affected me. When it came out, I was overwhelmed by the stress of trying to get my money together for grad school so I just wasn't ready for a record of this caliber yet (its my third attempt in the past 5 years, I finally got accepted to University, couldn't get the loans, had to drop out, trying again for Fall 2014, sucks, is what it is, and this record has helped me put it in perspective). I literally had my first ever panic attacks, it was truly frightening to lose control of your body and especially your thoughts, to be almost possessed by a primal fear.

I went through all the stages, really, even though I'm in my early 30s, I was having a mid-life crisis of sorts as I realized that I am so far behind schedule as to where I need to be and what I need to be doing to get my goals accomplished. But hey, me and 15,000,000 other people under 35 whose life-plans all got absolutely shit on by the Recession. In Rastafari we've been prophesying the End of Western Civilization for almost a century, and big surprise, the only people that it collapsed on were people 15-35, our parents all are actually being OVER-WORKED and making TOO MUCH MONEY, meanwhile too many of us are stuck living with them

I digress, the moral is that this record really helped me find spiritual balance and self-reflective perspective. I was getting overwhelmed by fear but now I have fallen into acceptance. Life goes at its own pace. I want to do certain things by a certain age, but I can't consider myself a failure of external circumstances out of my control limit my opportunities. Life is about staying positive through it all, building love against all odds.

Dude, you sound like you are in the EXACT same boat as I am, grad school wise. I too dropped out near the end of a unique and highly specialized grad program, because I was a wise ass little fucker at the time. I was quite close to finishing, but had difficulties with a teacher, and things got ugly, and I said fuck it. Huge mistake of course, as I am now desperately in debt, and also panicking about where I am in comparison to where I "should" be. I will have to start another program from the beginning, and I'm freaking out over finding the time and money to apply to another program ( December deadline, so wish me luck).

At least you're a teacher. This is a meaningful job, and one that is near impossible to attain for someone without at least a masters (is it your PhD you're trying to get then?) I'm in business, you see. My knowledge of neuroscience is being put to absolutely no use whatsoever, and I'm crunching numbers and doing statistical trade analysis work for corporations, trying to save them money. It's pretty much eating my soul.

Anyway, luck to both of us.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|