View Single Post
Old 01.10.2016, 12:31 PM   #17
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
As far as composers and sound collages go, I can't help but point to Ben Frost. He's definitely more of a maximalist than Sonic Youth, but his music has strong melodies that are heavily layered and pushed to the absolute max by multi-instrumentation and extreme volume. It's noise, but it's also anthemic. It's electronic AND organic. It's digital maximalism peppered with elements of analogue minimalism and it's fucking intense as hell. Listen to 2014's AURORA LP and accompanying VARIANT EP if you're interested.

Along similar lines, and another example of digital and analogue hybridizing, is Fuck Buttons, and sister act Blanck Mass. Not a hell of a lot of direct SY or YLT influence... more Boredoms. Fuck Buttons have yet to release an album that failed to make it into my favorite records of that year. They're getting better too, I'd say.

Also, 2015's A Year of 13 Moons by Jefre Cantu-Ledesma has some really exquisite guitar based compositions and sounds. It's varied, touching on ambient and shoegaze as well as noise-influenced guitar squalls, but it's all quite beautiful. Doesn't punish like Ben Frost and Fuck Buttons.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|