View Single Post
Old 12.20.2008, 03:21 PM   #15
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Did anything happen in terms of ambition that beat SY? Just curious, cause I think it hasn't. I don't listen to them much anymore, yet I listen to loads of bands/musicians they influenced in one way or another, but seem to lack the same sort of ambition they have.

By "ambition" you seem to mean experimentation? I know you hate that way of putting it, but "ambition" to implies trying to be bigger rather than trying to push the envelope, and I'm pretty sure you didn't mean that.

Of course on both fronts, the "rock" band that has arguably done so would be Radiohead. I'm not nearly as into them as Sonic Youth myself, but I can't deny that they have pushed the envelope of rock music more than anyone recently who is noticeable to the mass public. Hell, they did it and somehow got more popular, so they must have been "ambitious" (even if their evolved sound may remind us of everyone from Eno to Boards of Canada).
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|