View Single Post
Old 04.19.2010, 02:24 PM   #43
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
It's not a bad album, it just doesn't stand up to their truely great material. I'd like to make a mix cd of the best songs from this and the best songs from adrenaline/fur/pony and see, I guess. But there's enough cool parts in this album that it's not completely awful or anything.....

I would consider s/t, aside from a song or two, awful.

keep listening, it finally got me, right to the soul.

Beauty School has ALL the magic moments of the deftones merged into a brilliant, ambient almost sound scape.. especially at the breaks/bridge my God that shit stopped me in the middle of the cross walk this morning when it hit.. (that is the deftones thing, it permeates all the albums)

Diamond Eyes is as fierce a deftones song as Hexagram or Feiticeira or Damone, classic deftones edge..

Sex Tape is also as brilliant and ambient as Beauty School, really dreary and emotive without necessarily becoming emo.

Rocket Skates and Royal are like Diamond Eyes, but with more teeth and attack stance. The vocals are what Chino was best at and why I got into this band 13 years ago, but how many decades can you scream like that and keep it going?
CMND/CNTL is sort of like When Girls Telephone Boys, a fucking fierce track on the vocals, but meh on the instrumental, but it is growing on my.

976-EVIL is an epic White-Ponyesque ballad, I love it. The guitar is the wall sound of pure, drone chord with a dreary, creaking lead riff ( think Change/Far Away)..

Prince has that bad ass hip hop style that is what makes the deftones who they are, they are not nu-metal, they are not rap rock, they are something authentic in-between, a true original since 1988..

Risk and See the Butcher are the only tunes I am working on, they are a bit too different for me but I have listening to the album three times consecutively this morning and each song as blossomed over the day, initially I didn't really hear the gem in any of this album but now... now I am truly impressed, more so than with Saturday Night Wrist.

This record really excites me, I am feeling blessed like in April 2000 with my leaked White Pony, much thanks and love derek, you made my month.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|