View Single Post
Old 10.18.2009, 06:18 PM   #13
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
The Magic Band (all incarnations.. not the Tragic Band though) was so brilliant because of how loose but tight all of it sounded. Well, the last incarnation was tight as fuck, but specifically talking about the Trout Mask/Decals era stuff, I love how at times, it sounded like the band was about to fall apart, but it's all just so together at the same time. They were playing BEYOND the fullest extent of their abilities. I think it's interesting, because I will see some shitty band that clearly is playing sloppy, doesn't know what they're doing, and at times it will lapse into stuff like the Magic Band were doing -- but, obviously, the Magic Band knew what they were doing. To make stuff that somehow sounded so wrong, yet so right, is truely remarkable. Controlled chaos. I think "math rock" and even no wave and various other types of music can all be traced back to what the Captain was doing back in the day. Case of the punks!

I think, 40 years later, no one has still completely gotten their head around Trout Mask... Perosnally, The Captain inspires everything I do. Just amazing music.

It's hard for me to choose a favorite, too, I think Decals and Radar are both jaw-dropping, but this one has a lot of personal feelings attached to it. I wish I could go back and here it for the first time again. You know, my favorite overall might actually be the unreleased Bat Chain Puller. If they could somehow remaster that and release it today, I think that'd really blow people away. It has "Odd Jobs" on it, which I don't think ever appeared anywhere else and is definitely one of the best Captain songs (definitely the best guitar interplay at least).

For my money, no drummer will ever top John French. This was really the perfect band. I mean, every musician was just perfect in it. Really ridiculous.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|