View Single Post
Old 03.28.2008, 12:21 PM   #19
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
If by classic album we mean a record that stands the test of time and goes on to hop-over times, trends, changes in taste etc, I believe that there are few records that deserve that title from start to finish.

Giving a record classic status is more often an award that has linguistic value, rather than a factual one. An erroneous modern practice it is too.

A record is a record, it has all too often limited scope of influence on human activity as a whole, therefore its universal appeal is limited, no matter how good it might be. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, music is a thing that gives joy and alleviates the malaise of the soul, therefore its job is done without continuously having to be unremarkably allocated a specific position in history, unless the critical approach assests its importance in the most accurate and thourough of ways and takes the social context it came from as a starting point.

that is the whole point. to assign "classic" status to just any album you like a lot is ridiculous and the term "classic" loses all meaning.