View Single Post
Old 08.20.2011, 10:03 PM   #15076
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Hellraiser

8/10

I know that Clive Barker is gay, but I can't help but wonder if he's into BDSM? Because it seems a lot of his work contains strains of that sort of thing...anyway, I enjoyed this film, but I'm not sure if I want to see it again anytime soon. Gore doesn't always bother me, but it seems like everyone in this film is a complete idiot! Frank was an idiot for wanting to buy/use the Lament Configuration in the first place, Julia was an idiot for falling for his "charms", Larry was an idiot for not doing something about her increasingly strange behaviour (and just being an idiot in general), the dudes Julia brought to the house so she could spill their blood to further regenerate Frank were idiots for going along with it, and Kirsty was an idiot for messing around with the box again! I dunno, Hellraiser definitely deserves its 80s horror classic status, but for me it's not the kind of film you watch again and again. A little ambivalent about checking out any the sequels, because I think this story could stand on its own.

I've always wanted to like that movie more than I do. All its individual components are great but I think it needed a better director to really pull them all together. (Something I think Barker himself has admitted in interviews) The sequels are dreadful.

Re the BDSM thing, he is into it. A quote from an interview:

"In my sex life I practice S&M. Practice, I've practically got it right! Because I'm a fan, a practitioner, of S&M, I have put that into the movies. I think Hellraiser is very clearly an S&M movie."

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicka
Eden Lake

downright scary, nasty and all too believable 8/10

It's been described as Britain's Deliverance, which makes a lot of sense. I found it almost unbearably bleak, though, to the point where I nearly turned it off a couple of times. I can handle horror films that make you think and I'm certainly not afraid of downer endings but that just felt like it was a bit too keen on making its audience feel as shit as possible for 90 minutes. It's brilliant in its way and I'm definitely glad I saw it but I don't think I could ever sit through it again.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|