View Single Post
Old 10.11.2012, 01:22 PM   #25
hypertonic
bad moon rising

hypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asses
I would say that Sister is underground (80's)rock/psych-rock. To me that era of SY seemed to be an underground scene, which sometimes found outlet as "college rock" in the states, played on college radio but not so much thru ClearChannel popular radio or most mainstream media outlets.

I tend to equate that period of their music with other similar acts like the Flaming Lips, Butthole Surfers, etc. I don't usually call them college rock due to bands like the Replacements. They seemed very college/clean/indie whereas the more psych bands had a wild, untameable side to them.

I prefer the noise-rock term though. Heh. Just seemed to me at THAT time psych-rock. Mainly just because to the songwriting approach and the interesting SY style guitar arrangements/songwriting.

I cannot stand the "alternative" label though. "Alternative to what?" It seems a very "scene-ish" thing to say, like "indie" has become. I opt to just say underground, where the music had appeal outside of conventional media, etc.
hypertonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|