View Single Post
Old 08.27.2010, 03:59 AM   #1
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I donīt know how good idea this is or have you already done these, but what you think if we make a thread for every Sonic Youth album? Of course there can be threads also e.p:s and singles. I mean Iīd like to read when people has bought certain album and what memories associated with the album. There can be all the stuff, that associated the album, if somebody know something about the album that isnīt on discography pages, that is also very welcome information. And of course people can say their opinions about the album.

I want to start in Made In Usa, because it is quite amazing story, how I get it. When the album was realised, I lived in north Finland. Maybe one time a year I made a trip to the south in main town Helsinki to buy albums (In Helsinki naturally have much more record shops than in north). One of these trips I saw "Made In Usa"-vinyl. I hadnīt heard anything about it and I thought it was some kind of noise side project of them. I hadnīt had also so much money then, so I didnīt bought it. Somehow I didnīt forget the album, maybe partly because I liked the package and the clear vinyl. I thought I bought it next year, but it wasnīt there anymore. Two years ago I read the text about the album in discography pages and I felt so shamed that I didnīt bought it when it was realised. Of course it wasnīt available anymore when I asked it for my local record retailer. About half year after that moment there was a big record happening in my hometown (that is the biggest in Finland, two times a year). I went there in the end of it and there is time only half hour. You can announce there an album you want. I made an announcement, but no retailer didnīt reply it. I started to walk one line, maybe watched one or two boxes of vinyls and then came to retailer where I found Sonic Youth LP:s. And there it was!!! Second hand "Made In Usa"-vinyl in a very good condition and not even that expensive as a thought!!!

I think the story of the album is also quite amazing. Some unknown edit-jobbers ask Thurston to make a music for a Hollywood movie, all that glamour in the middle of it, and in the end only one of two songs are in the movie!! I have thought does this happen a lot in the western countries and is this kind of thing one reason to the world economic depressions. I mean somebody pay some people for something that in the end nobody uses.

And last for the music: I think like Chris that the album is very great and very much underrated!!! I can reach from the album some very original feelings about the America, kind of feelings about the continent when there were only Indians, maybe even not them. I mean I got the same feelings that are in the picture of the cover. The album is really I weird compromise between avantgarde and Hollywood glamour!!!
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|