Thread: the other news
View Single Post
Old 10.03.2019, 02:29 PM   #583
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone who says they predicted what has happened over the last few weeks is a liar, whichever side of the argument they're on, but IMO, Boris must now know he can't get a deal because, regardless of party-lines, the majority of parliament are more interested in remaining in the EU full stop, than leaving with any kind of deal. So it looks to me like he's offering a token gesture of a deal that he knows will be rejected both by parliament and the EU in the hope that it runs the clock down to the 31st, and the EU itself rejects any request for an extension. That's possible but unlikely.

More likely is there'll be an extension, and then an election some time between November and January. Boris should, if he's sensible, ditch any bid for a deal and accept Farage's offer of a pact. That would see the Brexit Party targeting the majority of Labour seats which are unlikely ever to vote Tory under any circumstances but which voted Leave in the referendum, while standing down in those seats already held by the Tories, or any Lib ones that the Tories have a decent chance of winning.

Even if parliament votes no-deal off the table before the election, it won't count afterwards. So if that scenario plays out the way I think it could, I can see a no-deal Brexit by January and a majority Boris/Farage coalition government for at least as long as it takes Labour to finally move beyond Corbyn/Momentum. Although if Greta's right, we may well be extinct before that happens.

There's a million ifs and buts in all that, and I'd be as surprised as anyone if it plays out exactly like that, but it's how I see it.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|