Thread: XIU XIU !
View Single Post
Old 12.12.2009, 08:23 AM   #33
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
Well yeah. Xiu Xiu might be one of my favourite bands ever but also one of the ones how can get on my nerves. And the lyrics at times are just to attention seeking but on the other hand their sound is unique, Jamie's lyrics are mostly great and I think A Promise has to be one of my most played cd's.

I find Chapel of the Chimes horrible, it feels like a knife slowing going through my brain. It's the kind of stuff that makes me hate music, it just sounds horrible and Ceremony has to be the worst cover ever. It's a wonder I took the guess after that to listen to more of their stuff. But then I find Knife Play a great record even it took me a long time to get into it's 'vibe'.

A Promise has to my favourite release by it and I am 'lucky'(just look at the cover if your not familiar with it) that I own it on CD and Vinyl. From it's haunting start of the wonderful tearjerker Sad Pony Guerrilla Girl to the noisy emotion filled screamfest that is Ian Curtis Wishlist it's one of my favourite albums ever.

Fabulous Muscles is a bit overrated, but still a great record. I Luv the Valley OH! is mine all time favourite xiu xiu song but for the rest the album just misses the atmosphere A Promise had.

I feel bad because I still haven't heard La Forêt.

The Air Force is a bit more poppier album, which is a dangerous word in the context of Xiu Xiu. It's easy listing Xiu Xiu, the songs sound like their all finished(which isn't the case on their previous albums but still helped the charm of their earlier work). It's my second favorite record by them, lyric mostly.

I found Women as Lovers a great record and it was in my top ten of 2008. Again the sound is a bit more songbased/poppier but it's still the Xiu Xiu feeling all over again. The cover of Under Pressure isn't bad but should have been left off the album. It just doesn't fit so good on it. But still Black Keyboard is one of the most haunting songs I know and the cover art was/is again amazing.

I am really looking forward to Dear God, I Hate Myself(even the title is bloody awful) and might finally see them live.
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|