View Single Post
Old 01.25.2019, 08:31 AM   #74
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Trust me, the combination of Spotify+Bandcamp is gold. I use Spotify for nearly everything (I have the premium account, though) and what I can't find there, I find on Bandcamp.
On Spotify there's tons of underground stuff too, if you're not looking into the really obscure.

It's a shame but I don't buy records anymore.

Ok, so Spotify and Apple Music are like Coke and Pepsi — essentially the same exact thing unless you’re a purist for red cabs or whatever. (Also kind of not like Coke/Pepsi because many of the things they make available to you are not even one chemical additive different from each other because they’re the exact same things.)

I had Spotify premium, and I loved it for a while. When Apple Music came out, I kept Spotify because I was just so into the concept of not having to haul my fucking CDs around or alter the library of my iPod anymore. But once Apple Music caught up, and once I saw that it paid more to artists — if only by a little bit — I jumped ship. Also, at the time, hip-hop and pop artists I liked (Frank Ocean, Chance the Rapper) were doing things on Apple Music and not on Spotify. But I think the era of exclusives is over.

Also, a lot of the time when an artists decides to remove something from streaming for whatever reason, they’ll remove it from Spotify and it will stay on Apple. Not sure why, but Spotify still has the larger user base, so that’s probably it.

Anyway, I have noticeed no decrease in the amount of available material from artists I like in the underground, experiments and noise genres and sub genres since making the switch, so I think it really comes down to 1. what kind of products you use (again, if you use Apple/Mac, Apple Music is just integrated with the entire media setup native to those phones and computers); and 2. Your personal preference regarding UX and design (I tend to refer Apple’s clean whites and reds to Spotofy’s neon green on black, but to each his/her/their own).

I’d say the real important piece is making sure you supplement with Bandcamp. It’s great, and unlike the other services, you can fucking BUY ACTUAL CD/LP/CASSETTE RELEASES through BC, and also find tons of artists too weird and too new to even register on the streaming giants.

YMMV.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|