View Single Post
Old 01.08.2009, 03:44 PM   #235
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
You forgot My Chemical Romance and Panic! At the Disco.

My point about MSI is that they don't seem popular because they kind of stay out of the public's eye, but if you do a little research, they're fucking huge, with a really devoted fanbase, albums and tours that are eagerly anticipated and sell out immediately. Nearly everyone I personally and professionally know (including myself; Tight-era only!) has been a fan of them at some point in the past 8 years though they may not be now.

Anyway, they never even made it on the Billboard top 200 and are never covered in magazines (aside from Alternative Press), but I would consider them a "popular" band just because of how many listeners they have!... Anyway, I was just curious about what Rob thought of them, because they're probably the biggest band to NOT be covered by the mainstream press at all.

So, me considering Animal Collective popular.... I'm just basing it on the people I personally know in real life. I think Rob leads a very differant life than me and doesn't know all the young kids and what they are actually listening to on their ipods and shit. Not that I'm an expert, but I can name 30 people I know in real life at the top of my head that listen to and enjoy Animal Collective. That's more than I can even say for Sonic Youth, actually! They may not all be buying their records, but I dunno if record sales are the only way to define a band's popularity.

Anyway they're only going to get bigger...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|