View Single Post
Old 05.09.2017, 12:35 PM   #237
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
babyfather / dean blunt x joanne robertson / hype williams /

Wait what? There's a Babyfather album coming out this year?

Where/when did you hear about this? I haven't (I don't think), but hot damn I loved BBF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
new arca is cool I guess, like it's by a considerable distance his best record, but it's literally visionist's lp and a fucking heavy, verging on collapse dose of oversteps with vox and identity politix. none of his solo full lengths have done anything for me which is odd coming from someone who adored his early mixtapes and the stuff he does for others, think he's too beholden to balladic conventions in some way? like it's an interesting approach and this record is the closest he's come to cracking it but I just don't think it's there yet, sound palette instrumentally is way too dry and repetitive, and structurally very predictable.

Hmmmmm...

I do think that some of today's most daring artists are a little too bogged down with identity politicking for their own good (another example is ANOHNI — nothing against her, but it almost feels criminal to take such a unique and weird voice and to confine it to gender and political anthems. I would like to hear her venture into truly experimental territory on her next outing, assuming she remains ANOHNI. HOPELESSNESS was a really good record, but it's also the kind of thing you can only do once.

With Arca I'm less familiar with the visual aesthetic of the work. I like Arca becaue Arca seems to be carrying on in the bending of electronic genres and rules that my dearly beloved Aphex Twin did (and does) so goddamn well.

I remember liking the new Arca (haven't listened to it a ton) but I also remember feeling that it was a bit "ballad" heavy for an artist labeled "experimental." The tones and chopped melodies certainly do tend to run a bit heavy on the yearning and melancholy. I'm more interested in musical textures and variety, especially from electronic artists.

I'm going to listen to it again though so I can be sure we're even talking about the same thing.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|