View Single Post
Old 04.18.2016, 10:15 AM   #16
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhb
I like that the production is less reverb/delay-soaked than Let England Shake. It lets you hear a lot of little details about the songs... the subtle vocal inflections, the distinctive vocals of Parish and Mick Harvey, little shakers and claps dropping in and out, the ambience of the room I love that sort of thing.

As mentioned, the sax playing is fantastic. She sounds like Archie Shepp on The Ministry of Social Affairs... "wrong" notes and everything. It's glorious.

I know what you mean about the production. One album that really stands out as a standout in the kind of production you're talking about is Real Gone by Tom Waits. I think both Let England Shake and Hope Six actually sound a lot like Real Gone in a lot of ways, but I do appreciate being able to make out the various thumps and claps and shakes. I think some of this was definitely present on LES, but this album makes it easier for the messy pieces to become part of the greater sound.

This did make me take an afternoon to listen to Dry, Rid of Me and and To Bring You My Love, however, and as good as Hope Six is, throse records just slay. PJ era 1. Absolutely classic.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|