View Single Post
Old 07.03.2017, 09:27 AM   #363
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
started reading Secret Weapons and it's awesome.

from my blog:

Quote:
Being the eternal optimist that I am, I buy a lot of #1’s. I’m always eager to find something new and different. Something special. When I saw Secret Weapons #1 listed on the release schedule this past week, I knew nothing about it. And honestly, probably would have glossed right over it had it not been for one thing: it was written by Eric Heisserer who wrote the movie Arrival which absolutely floored me.

I am pleased to announce that with Secret Weapons #1 I’ve found something new and different. I have found something special.

While the setup at first glance may not sound so unique – a secret agency doing secret experiments in a secret lab on subjects with rather inhuman powers – I promise you that it is done in such a unique way. I know it sounds a little Weapon X-ish. Or maybe even a lot Weapon X-ish, but really it’s got its own voice right out the gate of this first issue.

Most importantly this book is following the lives of several rejects from this project. Yes these outcasts have special powers. But they’re not especially good ones. They’re hardly useful. There’s the girl who talks with pigeons, or the guy who can make stuff glow. My favorite is the kid who can summon things from thin air – he just can’t control what he summons. So he accidentally summons a gun when he’s working his shift at the local hardware store, but summons an umbrella when he needs a gun.

Oh right – and yeah, he needs a gun at one point because these secret project defects are being hunted by this really scary alien thing. To say that there’s a lot going on in this first issue would be an understatement. But it’s all handled so well. And the artwork is excellent. I really must applaud this new book and look forward to subsequent issues.