View Single Post
Old 04.30.2017, 11:19 AM   #21057
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i recommended him thirst a long time ago, i think it was halloween, he liked the shot with the fluorescents in the room said he had to see it

thirst is good but not his best or most celebrated one, still i liked it tons

i think the order to start is:

1. sympathy for mr vengeance
2. old boy
3. lady vengeance

which is the order the "vengeance" trilogy was shot

from there springs the rest of his work i think

joint security area was cool and earlier but a bit clumsy in the production. which was you know fine, as he was a brilliant beginner, but it's not as memorable as what followed

and what's so great about the guy i think is that he was a philosopher first, then got involved in film, so that he always explores these not necessarily "intellectual situations, but he finds these existential situations that always make for a great and thrilling flick, and has such a sense of visual beauty to go with it, it's just great stuff

Oh I remember when you recommended that to me. Yes.

I've seen parts of Oldboy but didn't know this was the director. I also have never watched the whole thing because at some point someone told me it would probably upset me. Apparently it has the very specific kind of violence that disturbs and unsettles me (graphic rape, innocent lives lost/taken seemingly at random, etc.).

I forget who told me to steer clear of Oldboy, but whoever cautioned me against it compared it to Irreversible, a movie that I couldn't make it through despite being a fan of all the actors involved. The gratuitous rape shit just doesn't land well with me, even if I know it's going to be avenged in a bloodbath of epic proportions.

So... knowing that Irreversible was too much for me, and that scenes like the one in Nocturnal Animals deeply disturb me ... should I watch Oldboy?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|