View Single Post
Old 08.03.2010, 05:45 PM   #44
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I don't think it was like any of those movies! (though the Matrix one makes the most sense, "jacking in" to people's minds I guess but it was a completely different idea; if anything, this is more like Dark City! The whole sleep thing and whatnot..)

This movie was brilliant in a vaguely sci-fi way, without being overly ridiculous about it. There were times when I wish it went a little further because all the stuff at the beginning with the staircases of infinity, and the explosions everywhere made me think the movie was going to have all sorts of cool little set pieces. But after the train through the city, and the crumbling buildings and whatnot and the fighting in the loss of gravity, I decided that they probably did the right amount of "what the fuck" parts. I mean, if the whole movie was like that, it wouldn't have.... lemme rephrase: I appreciated its subtleness, and seriousness, even dealing with something sorta ridiculous.

I bet this thing was a NIGHTMARE to edit and write. If you notice, the entire movie is constantly in motion. Not bad for 2 1/2 hours, that it doesn't get exhausting, while still moving and moving and moving. It can cut back and forth, to and from 4 different locations simultaneously, and we immediately know where we are.

The movie isn't dumbed down but not too overly complex. But it was clearly made by brilliant people. And Nolan doesn't think his audience is completely stupid.

Great film.

I loved this film, but then again it was based entirely on the concept we psychedelics are deeply familiar with, "the Fear" and I was hooked. It took me three weeks to go to the theater, but thats because I have been to the theaters all of three times in the past 8 years, and this was well worth the trip. It will go down as one of my all-time favs once I get the DVD..

You are ridiculously correct on the writing! Its like the first two Terminator series, everything is looped together at crazy pieces and the films resonates on a million levels..

I especially enjoyed the fact that in the end it was a psychedelic story about a dude on the rebound, clinging to a lost past, and threading that idea into a serious mind fuck about the reality of reality. I love it!

I could see all the Dark City influences Nolan mentioned, and I really liked that it was not drenched with way-to-obvious computer graphics.. it struck me in the vein of late-80s to early-90s sci-fi, much more subtle than overwhelming and relying on the psychology as much or more so than the visual imagery! pure brilliance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
The twist, itself, is the open ending as to whether Cobb was in reality or still in a dream.

Personally, I think the film had firmly established for itself that the ending was real, or at least 'real' in the sense of what the film presented as the base world as given. The suggestion the ending leaves that it is not is reaching, in my opinion.

I think it left the psychedelic mind fuck ending open, as I always thought from the beginning, that the entire FILM was a hallucination/vision quest, and that NONE of it was real, and the ending was just a continuation of the beginning, a free-associative loop into infinity, the cruelty of what some of us have experienced, "the Fear"

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|