View Single Post
Old 02.11.2017, 12:51 PM   #1
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Severian's electronic music bistro, or bodega, or bar & grille, or taco cart is something of a dream of mine. I've wanted to start a thread devoted to electronic music for some time, but it's a though thing to pin down, and kind of a faulty label. Sometimes I'll describe an album as "electronic" and half hate myself for doing so because of how simplistic that sounds. The sub-genres' sub-genres have sub-genres at this point, so I know someone will read "electronic" and scoff, and think, "Idiot, it's acid grime-house yankee-tango footwork-foxtrot... DUH." But I want to have a thread devoted to the discussion of music that falls under this massive umbrella, so ... what the fuck else would I call it?

Anyway, I hope to talk about new and classic electronic music with other folks who are interested in and try to follow the genre, splintered and fragmented and expansive as it is.

I've actually wanted to do this ever since louder started his hip-hip café, and I have almost done it several times, but right now, with absolutely nothing happening in hip-hop, it seems as good a time as any.

So, is this worth doing? I know there are some folks here who just loathe hearing bleeps and bloops, but if there are enough who share my interests, I think we could have some nice discussions.

It's early in the year, and not a lot is happening in any genre yet, but there have been a number of strong releases in the past few years. I put together a list of what I feel are some of the best "electronic" albums from 2010 to the present. Guess I'll just throw this out there and see if anyone bites.

SOME of my favorite electronic albums of the 2010s, in no order except for Amygdala (which is #1 period.):

DJ Koze - Amygdala
KidKanevil - My Little Ghost
Vladislav Delay - Visa
Ben Frost - A U R O R A
Todd Terje - It's Album Time (also It's It's Remix Time Time
Aphex Twin - SYRO
Autechre - Elseq, Exai
Actress - Ghettoville
Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
patten - Estoile Naiant
Hudson Mohawke - Lantern
Nicolas Jaar - Space is Only Noise, SIRENS
Plaid - Reachy Prints
Darkside - Psychic
Seekae - The Sound of Trees Falling on People
Botany - Lava Diviner (True Story)
Kornél Kovács - The Bells
Untold - Black Light Spiral
Burial - Rival Dealer
Caribou - Our Love
Mount Kimbie - Cold Spring Fault Less Youth
Arca - Xen

Aaaanyway. Anyone want to do this thing?

EDITED TO ADD:
Tim Hecker - Love Streams and Virgins
Fuck Buttons - Slow Focus
Blanck Mass - Dumb Flesh, World Eater (forthcoming)
Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica, Garden of Delete
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|