View Single Post
Old 09.09.2010, 10:10 AM   #23
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
To me, Mean Streets and Saturday Night Fever are paired up in an odd way. Both movies take a specific slice-of-life angle on a group of people who normally live in the fringes in a way, and both are basically plot-less character studies. I think that many USA movies in that decade did this a lot. It was new and interesting and not the typical Hollywood film style .

In that same decade the opposite was also prevalent, what with the opulent heavily plot-driven films such as The Godfather.

Some good points here -- it's INSANE to watch mainstream films from the 70's; been watching lots of Sidney Lumet lately.. y'know, Network, Dog Day Afternoon, and so on.. and they're great, but they feel like they're from ANOTHER FUCKING PLANET compared to films coming out nowadays.

Really, I don't think a film like The Godfather could even exist today. It's so bizarre. There really aren't any directors crafting films in that style anymore. It seems like movies nowaday go overboard on music, cutting, etc.

I've also noticed music is simpler. Listen to popular "classic rock" songs; hell, listen to pop hits from 80's. Those songs are downright complex, they're fucking MATH ROCK compared to the forgettable, simple, disposable pop songs on the radio today.

We live in an age that shouldn't exist, pure fucking sensory overload, and everything is being designed to get in, do its thing and make money, then get the fuck out. SIMPLICITY. Everything is simple, direct, and meant to constantly entertain in obvious ways. Disposable, forgettable garbage...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|