View Single Post
Old 05.01.2007, 07:53 PM   #6
Sleek_Jeek
empty page

Sleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...iated-artists/

a fan poll to be sure for those choices, if RS had their way, they'd find a way to put Weezer on the list

not so sure of the placement of some but i like the addtion of some of the choices

1. Tom Waits
2. The Replacements
3. Cheap Trick
4. Sonic Youth
5. Warren Zevon
6. Big Star
7. The Pharcyde
8. Roxy Music
9. Talking Heads
10. Bob Seger
11. Fugazi
13. The Cramps
14. The New York Dolls
15. The Band
16. The Cars
17. Pogues
18. Alice Cooper
19. Dinosaur Jr
20. Sleater-Kinney
21. Husker Du
22. Devo
23. Wilco
24. Tom Petty
25. Ween

I feel like this is a very unfocused list. What is underappreciated about these bands?

I'd say fugazi and sonic youth both recieve due amounts of appreciation, but not in the proper context. I feel, in the case of fugazi, that their music is the least apprerciated thing about them, but only because of how much of the focus of regional fans turns to their ethics and non-existent press coverage etc, etc. Their music is beautiful and upbeat, in non-obvious ways but seriously, go check out the scribble non-sense in the liner notes of "in on the kill taker." They're not actually out to make all college students vegetarians, they just want to see other people take a creative approach in other ways.

With sonic youth on the other hand, I feel the focus is too much on the music, and not on the fact that they've got 56 different t-shirt designs, a complete list of gear on this very web site, and I've seen a video of a geriatric choir singing "schizophrenia" on youtube, but the most coverage they get is a snapshot of them in rollingstone at coachella the year Iggy Pop rounds up enough dough to share with his original band and not some payed yuppie studio session label tarts with an hourly rate. I want to see complete transcriptions, I want to hear public enemy remixed with the minutemen, I want to see sonic youth billboards everywhere. Fuck this "they're like the indie grateful dead b.s.", they're the lazy beatles, die.
Sleek_Jeek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|