View Single Post
Old 05.30.2012, 04:29 PM   #16096
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i've never been a big de palma fan though i did love scarface. i haven't seen all his movies, not even such a pop culture icon as carrie. why? i'm just not attracted. still, he's not nobody-- love him or hate him he stands for something (though what is that "something" is up for debate)

so after reading everyone's comments i was looking at his quotes on imdb today and i thought they might be relevant:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000361/bio#quotes

namely this one:

I don't think I do referencing, I use ideas which I think are effective in this particular piece at the moment. If they've been used before, fine. I mean, who cares? To me, it's all grammar. If I've got that word available and it was used before and if I can use it again more effectively for my piece - why not? It's the history of art from the beginning of time. Why do you think painters still paint Chartres Cathedral? Do you think they should be painting some rock in a garden? But they have this incredible architectural thing in front of them! Are they copying, are they simulating it? Well, maybe they have a different interpretation of the piece of art that's in front of them. I mean, how unusual...

he also said (it's a bit above that):

[on Alfred Hitchcock] He is the one who distilled the essence of film. He's like Webster. It's all there. I've used a lot of his grammar.

He calls it grammar, but funny thing, his Untouchables version of the Odessa steps was not the same grammar at all as Eisenstein's-- for Eisenstein, the baby cart was a metaphor for the budding revolution, for De Palma, it was a cheesy device to the make the audience gasp-- grammar my ass.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|