View Single Post
Old 07.05.2008, 11:15 AM   #34
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
also curious if they ever get sick of playing bull in the heather...

that's easily one of their best songs, so I'm glad they play it but wow.

It seems like Sonic Youth really know what songs everyone likes by them... you never see 'em playing panty lies..

Well, you never see em playing 85% of their back catalog, which contains some pretty amazing songs that I know people would love to hear. It seems like they keep short, noisy rockers in the set (100%, Drunken Butterfly, World Looks Red, White Kross, etc) but really, who hasn't heard these songs a trillion times if they've been a fairly regular SY concert-goer (perhaps less on World Looks Red).

They play 100% with pretty much zero energy, and have since they brought it back circa 2000. Too slow, not enough noise. Does anyone disagree? Now, "Bull in the Heather" is one of my all-time favorite songs, and the album version is absolutely perfect, but when I hear it live I just can't get past the lack of harmonics which make that intro riff so haunting. I'd forgive it if they still always paired it with the magnificent "Starfield Road" (hey, it's short! it's noisy! it rocks!) but unfortunately...

K, I'll stop raining all over this thread now. This IS an amazing set list, regardless. Probably the best of the year.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|