Thread: Pop and Noise
View Single Post
Old 05.09.2008, 04:40 PM   #30
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
Surely pop music, in it's most polished and generic form, at it's heart are songs with a structure and pattern that draws you in, verse chorus verse essentially...- you are compelled to listen to it, becuase after the first 30 seconds you can fairly accurately assume what patterns the song will follow. Pop fans engage with the music because of it's predicatability.

Like many sonic gossipers I was born wrong and somehow find formless and structureless music, a.k.a noise, as engaging if not moreso than 'pop'. Because I have no time for pop songs unless they have an interesting and unique take no pop structures (see SY) when someone turns on Radio 1 at college, pop music completely drifts over me, completely failing to grab my attention, much as a pop fan might react to noise. So, this said, the pop I hear on the radio, completely failing to engage with me, is essentially noise. I get the that same dead-inside bored feeling from pop as many do from noise. Is this what this poster is getting at, they're not saying they're the same thing, but rather they listen to pop in the same way as others do noise? If so, I agree.

No you misinterpreted what I said. However, that was my fault I did not word it correctly. I think pop and noise can fuse into one. Both are equally enjoyable. However, I feel that many here at least can't accept that most pop music is actually great.