View Single Post
Old 03.23.2006, 10:17 PM   #12
blots
little trouble girl

blots ain't too shabbyblots ain't too shabby
I'm not sure of a review, maybe it's not as widespread a comment as I thought, I could only find one on Imdb that compared his shots to a renaissance painting. I tried a google search...I guess it's something I just heard and figured it was common because it made sense to me.

The reason I mentioned it was because to me his movies have a certain quality as a whole, all these individual shots that add up to a certain picture or sentiment or feeling. There's no necessarily obvious message to it, it's just something that either moves you or it doesn't. The way he'll have minutes just observing people in bed with somebody shoveling in the background, it's an image that hits the mind and emotion a certain way. When you see something in a painting, you often sort of just stare at it for awhile, sometimes focussing on an individual small detail, or moving around the painting in that sort of silence. When I was watching Last Days, I sort of just got lost in the movie, outside of time, every thing around it stopped, like floating or being in a dream. I guess to me it means a movie that strikes you more by the visual imagery and by the way each individual part has an emotional reaction that affects the whole perception of the movie, rather than a movie which really makes your mind think, it sort of makes your mind dance or flow. A movie that has a much more visual impact than it does in words. Some movies give me a real flurry of wordy sort of thoughts, which can be really amazing, but this one was different in the sense that it didn't really translate to word. Sorry if this explanation sucks, I can't really say exactly what I got out of it, but that's how it made me feel.

I don't think that everybody should necessarily like the movie, or that those who didn't it was through some fault of their own... It just had an effect on me I guess. The only reason I responded to the thread was because I didn't want people to just write it off.
blots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|