Thread: Nine Inch Nails
View Single Post
Old 07.27.2016, 10:39 AM   #56
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
And when I said I was looking for a replacement for Kurt, that's thirty-something me talking. I don't think I actually consciously felt that way at the time. But it was quite a jolt to have the singer of your favorite band kill himself, as I'm sure we all remember. Looking back, I think it definitely left a void that I — knowingly or unknowingly — tried to fill. I was starting to crave more eclectic and interesting sounds in the music I listened to, but I guess I also missed that sheer idiotic idolatry for a relatable, honest musician after Kurt's death, I think I grabbed a little bit from column A (NIN) and a little bit from column B (Beck) and kinda ... Let's see, how to put this... shoved them up my Kurt-hole.

Really, though, it worked for a time. Beck had just enough of that sardonic, intellectual freak with a guitar vibe, and Trent had just enough of that unbridled angst, and it worked.

It was until I started listening to Sonic Youth more (who ultimately filled the void permanently, giving me more than even Nirvana ever had) that I really got over Nirvana, if it can even be said that I have gotten over them to this day.
Also going to Modest Mouse shows changed things up. They were my little replacement Nirvana for a spell in my teens. Getting into the Replacements, the Pixies and Dino (first wave of '80s college radio bands I really fell for, not counting SY, since they weren't really *anything* "radio") helped as well, because all these bands had so much of what I loved about Nirvana going on, plus quite a bit more. They were also, y'know... still alive, and didn't act as a constant reminder of the loss of Kurt.

Of course, looking back, it's ridiculous that I placed so much faith and hope in a band, even after their singer committed suicide. But I was young, and young kids do stupid shit. Idolatry is lame.

But yeah, NIN.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|