View Single Post
Old 10.25.2009, 02:51 PM   #8362
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I guess you have a point, but can you imagine a film like Zardoz coming out today? Well, then again, I couldn't even imagine Deliverance coming out (in theaters) today, for the most part. Times have changed, obviously.

shit like chronicles of riddick or underworld could be as fantastic if not more than zardoz but they get derailed but vapid action shit and very dull ideas. they lack a "philosophy" (i hate to use that word like that, but it's easy to understand).

the thing with zardoz is that it was an anti-hippie movie in a time when people believed strongly in pacifist enlightened communal utopias--- the movie dealt with issues like evolution, free will, god, violence-- it was in fact a bit (a lot) nietzschean.

today's "thinking" movies are less epic and focus more on the individual-- charlie kaufman's projects for example, or i heart huckabees; and science fictions, which could grapple with big issues have gotten weak and childish cuz of that shitty star wars, or just action-based a la terminator. dune could have been that but failed. cronenberg does, but he makes different sorts of movies, smaller.

theres no reason there couldnt be a big mindfuck of a movie out there, though, just waiting for the right combination of elements to explode. but to fit the times, it would have to be a huge mindfucking criticism of the emptiness of late capitalism (ipods as a cure for unhappiness)-- if someone could make a good updated version of don de lillo's "white noise", it would be awesome.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|