View Single Post
Old 03.03.2009, 08:22 PM   #5704
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Good, another Argento fan. I wore his films out a long time ago and was super disappointed with all his recent flicks except Mother of Tears. Here's Argento flicks, in order, in my opinion; take it for what it's worth:

1. Tenebre
2. Deep Red
3. Opera
4. Stendhal Syndrome
5. Trauma
6. his half of Two Evil Eyes; the George Romero half is one of the worst things ever filmed by anyone EVER
7. Phenomena
8. Bird with the Crystal Plumage
9. Suspiria
10. Cat O'Nine Tails
11. Mother of Tears
12. Four Flies on Grey Velvet
13. Sleepless
14. Inferno
15. The Card Player
16. Jennifer
17. Do You Like Hitchcock?
18. Pelts
19. Phantom of the Opera

Never saw 5 Days in Mulan, though I'm pretty sure no one in America has.

As with most directors, I tend to gravitate towards their more artful, "weirder" stuff, so yeah, Opera is fucking amazing, though a lot of people will tell you otherwise. It has his most surreal moments ever. It was also the first film of his I saw.. I picked it up at a Big Lots 7 years ago. BIG LOTS. Dunno if you have one of those there but holy shit. They get weird, fucked-up movies there occasionally. No idea what this was doing there.. I bought Opera, Maniac, Sleepaway Camp, and a Sex Pistols documentary on the same day at BIG LOTS. Man. I love Big Lots.

But yeah, I fucking love Opera. It's too good.... Tenebre's his best, though. It's brutal, visually compelling, just perfect. Opera has some slow moments but just for some of the camera angles alone, it's worth it. As for his newer films, Stendhal Syndrome is his most brutal film probably. Rape and 3D bullets and all kinds of weird shit. Mother of Tears was a decent return to form, featuring a nice steel pole vagina rape, the best since cannibal holocaust. It ended up being a goofy parody of his films but it was entertaining.

I seem to be in the minority of people who thinks Opera is a masterpiece and Inferno is a boring, slow, worthless piece of shit for most of its length, besides some cool set pieces and the oversaturated colors (and the camera work by Mario Bava in a few scenes; I can tell the scenes he filmed because they're the best scenes in the movie!).

Argento is a very inconsistent director who has made a lot of bullshit but he has at least 5 GREAT films and I love him.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|