View Single Post
Old 01.05.2019, 11:00 AM   #50652
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon
It's somewhat off-topic and I'm not Pony, obviously. But: I'd say that's a rather standard practice. Never actually worked at a proper restaurant, but I attended an economy-oriented school that was in part focused on the culinary sector, so take it with a grain of salt. But from what I remember, we were taught to always serve the drinks first, even if there's a starter, Amuse Gueulle, Hors d'oeuvre or whatever you wanna call it. That's because it's generally agreed upon that drinking is a tad more important than eating (which makes sense given that the human body can survive a bit longer without food than without water). As for the long intervals between drinks and food served: Well, working in a kitchen is a stressful job and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone - the experiences I had at the school's own restaurant were enough for me. There are often many different orders that need to be tended to, it's a complete pandemonium sometimes. So things take some time. But that's just a generalization. Not ruling out that certain individual places may actually see some monetary opportunity in that. There are some shitty places as well, no doubt about that. But in general I see no malice in that practice.

Biggest reason is the fact best profit margin is made on beverage, so the quicker a drink is served the quicker the refills come. Then there's traditional reason like pre-meal thirst quenching and creating jovial atmosphere. I agree on the malice: if there's one corporate decision I can accept it's getting my alcoholic bevvy at my table foken pronto.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|