View Single Post
Old 09.22.2016, 01:38 PM   #19693
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
t's probably among my top 10 favorite films of any genre of all time. It's fucking terrifying. And the Goblin score is one of the best and most underrated in horror history.

But you're right, from what I've seen Argento has never made a film that's consistently great all the way through. I think Suspiria actually is great from start to finish, but that's because I'm at peace with the filming kerfuffles and I just allow the excellent sinister mood to carry me through. So it's great in spite of Argento. And the rest of his films, though there are definitely some must-see slaughterfests in there, have flaws that are too big to be ignored.

Suspiria is absolutely a great, 5-star film despite its quirks. But I'll never understand why the audio doesn't sync up. Why does the audio never seem to sync up in Argento films, even when they're not dubbed? For such a masterful, perfectionistic and talented director, one who reliably creates thrilling and epic single shot sequences that play out like orchestras, he certainly fills his work with a lot of stupid mistakes. I'm afraid he's never going to live up to his potential again. Since Suspiria, his films have for the most part just gotten increasingly unwatchable. Have you seen Giallo? The Adrian Brody one? My God in heaven, what a fucking shitshow.

Love Suspiria though. Love love love it.

Bad Argento is fucking appalling, by any standards. I wasn't really criticising Suspiria. I love it too, even with its faults. But yeah, His more recent stuff like Giallo is just terrible. And generally, I think too big of a cult has been built around him rather than 90% of the films he's made.Maybe because Dario Argento, as a person, is scarier than 90% of the films hes made.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|