View Single Post
Old 09.21.2016, 10:47 PM   #19682
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Does Hi Rise follow a storytelling trope? It definitely does, I can't deny that, and I can't say why movies like Snowpiercer and Hi-Rise are just now getting their film adaptations when the literary source material (Snowpiercer based off a graphic novel from 1982, Hi-Rise based off a J.G. Ballard novel from 1975) have been around for quite some time. Isn't the post-apocalyptic story itself a reused idea? Isn't any movie's story only as successful as the way its told and presented? If not wouldn't everything that needed to be said about a repressed futuristic society have been said with "Metropolis"?

I get ya. Yeah. I think the reason these adaptations are happening now is because of the massive success of the Silo books by Hugh Howeyn (or whatever). People wanted to cash in on the theme before that movie came out. I've only read the first book of the Silo series (Wool), but from what I can tell the source material for both Snowpiercer and Hi Rise are vastly superior. I thought Silo read like the kind of book a retired tour guide from Florida would write. Which is exactly what it is.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|