View Single Post
Old 04.13.2014, 02:50 AM   #80
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
You are speaking from a fan's perspective, but I don't think Sonic Youth ever had the kind of truly mainstream, national/international appeal that generally gets bands into these kinds of schtick museums. Personally, I'd rather they DIDN'T invite Sonic Youth, why taint what we already got going ourselves? WE love them and celebrate them, isn't that enough?

Truth. But still, consider several bands that were once considered somewhat obscure that have made it in. That, and several that have made it in were largely ripping off/highly influenced by obscure bands that will likely never get in.

Think: Stooges
Think: Dolls

Highly likely that Sonic Youth will eventually make it in. The reality is, they aren't and haven't been "obscure" in a long while. They've been largely influential in both mainstream and so called "underground" worlds. They had tracks on both the Juno and End of Days soundtracks. They've had videos on MTV. They were on Beavis and Butthead. Tons of people always showed up for their live shows (I never once saw them play a small/intimate bar like venue...and almost every time I saw 'em, the larger venues in which they'd be playing would be near packed if not over shoulder to shoulder scrunched over packed.

Plus, plenty of mainstream bands enjoy obscure music, in the same way plenty of obscure bands listen to mainstream stuff. The two aren't as separate as many make them out to be. Both have always been informed by each other in one way or another. Nirvana is a good example of this, as are the Beatles. Nirvana were just as proned to listen to Led Zeppelin as they were Half Japanese. And usually, from the fans perspective, those who tend to only listen to underground stuff seldom seem very honest as individuals. Too cool for school types who take pride in mouthing off band names no one else in the room has heard of. Those who only know classic rock/mainstream stuff tend to be the sorts that use the radio and their parents as their main means of discovering bands. I've always preferred those that lie somewhere in the middle.