View Single Post
Old 01.17.2017, 01:31 AM   #50
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
It's a damn good song, with a melody that has — consciously or not — inspired generations of synth tinkerers. Most of them shit compared to Kim Carnes.

Fleetwood Mac also kinda aped it on the song "Seven Wonders" from '87. As did that tune from ROCKY IV (y'know, the one that plays when Rocky's sad-driving, thinking about Apollo, and a montage of all his Apollo moments plays over that terrible synth-butt song?).

Also, I think Kim Gordon would probably say the lyrics are dope. "All the boys think she's a spy" ... I could totally see Kim writing something like that.
sorry to dredge this up but I mean I just don't get *how* exactly it is that you can listen to these 'credible' acts you've listed when nine inch nails are an assault on them, a complete pastiche of their values and therefore an obliteration of them. it's not about a pop vs. underground oppositional thing, more so that pop has an underlying awareness of its inescapable vacuity and as such is completely free from being quantified in relation to anything outside of its actual properties as organised sound -- it exists as nothing more than brain candy to fill in the gaps in one's membrane and does whatever it can to achieve that.

nine inch nails posit themselves as something more than the midwest strip mall goth-pomp that they unquestionably are, wearing on their sleeves the industrial tag while utterly bastardising everything that made that term have some sort of subversive meaning. I'm not saying that context is of utmost centrality to enjoying music, but when an artist is going to consciously situate themselves in a lineage I think you have to scrutinise that as it's a very unhealthy thing to do, especially one as singular and ideologically rigorous as industrialism. and to shamelessly don this tag while totally flouting all of these underlying principles, creating this facade of existing out of the norm while being the very definition thereof is patently fucking offensive.

I just see them as being perhaps the most heinously disingenuous band I've ever heard, and their music is to my ears pure shit, teen angst left to fester in a jar of piss and then sold back to poor unknowing kids in a coke can with a complementary nose stud.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|