View Single Post
Old 01.18.2018, 11:10 AM   #29
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Kinda serious question: do you toss out all your rap albums every year or so? (I guess you'd hold on to your Kanye collection) You seem to be almost hostile toward anything that isn't new and you're not really respectful of the awesomeness of the past, even the recent past.

Just trying to suss out your attitude.

Jesus fuck, isn't there a middle ground between drastically new and artifact?

Yeah. Last year alone he released a good record and a great EP. What's the problem?

Doesn't "awesomeness" beat "new"?

Because remember that day when you could have listened to it, but you instead opted to play something that was new, although by track five you realized it was a really shitty record?

Hey. Louder said it. Not me.

I take it the album in question is Black America Again? I think it sags in the middle, but the opener is innovative enough, the title track is an instant classic, and "Letter to the Free" is among the greatest things he's ever made. Only five or so worthy tracks surrounded by dross, like nearly every Common album, but manohman the good ones are good and I strongly suspect will be good years from now.

Probably sounds like I'm giving you shit, and I sort of am, but I'd be happy to hear you explain how you approach this genre. I'm curious why you seem to have a lot of rules, whereas my approach of being open to everything has been richly rewarding.

Why are you quoting me, and then louder? Why are you asking me to explain my opinion on Talib? I only said positive things about Talib, and also that he’d fizzled from a cultural standpoint and failed to progress past a certain point... like Common... despite still making good music and being a legend. What’s the problem with that exactly? I like Talib. He’s just not surprising me anymore. Most musicians aren’t. The few that do are the ones I like. Am I answering your question?

I don’t think you picked up what I was putting down here, and it was a while ago so I don’t remember the conversation (and you’re quoting from several different conversations and two different people) so I can’t address whatever it is you’re asking, which is not clear to me.

No I don’t throw away my music.
I hate a lot of music in all genres. Most new rap sucks, most old rap sucks, most music in ever genre sucks. Doesn’t mean I don’t love artists from every genre.

I really don’t get what you’re ever going for here, but basically I haven’t heard a *brand* new rapper that has caught my interest in a couple of years. Does that help?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|