View Single Post
Old 07.02.2009, 06:48 AM   #69
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
The Massey Hall reference makes sense!

I encourage you to transfer that Calgary show, or at least provide the set list if possible.

As for the 'too much new material' crowd, I'll confess that at my very first SY show they played almost all 'Washing Machine' material which was almost all unfinished, and only two old songs. I was so young and excited that while I may have been mildly disappointed to not hear more familiar songs, it was so exhilirating to just SEE them.

Then the 'Thousand Leaves' era hit -- for two straight years they played nothing but new material, the first year completely instrumentally! Every show on the Thousand Leaves tour had the bulk of the album plus 2 'SYR' pieces, and 'Death Valley'. And that was it. They added 'Shadow of a Doubt' in Seattle (which blew my mind) but aside from that, every single show that year was comprised of 11 new songs and 'Death Valley'. Did it bother me at the time? Of course! I wanted to hear all my favorites! I loved 'A Thousand Leaves' (and the live versions are so much better than the album) but I won't lie, I wanted to hear 'Teenage Riot' and 'Mote' and '100%' and 'Bull in the Heather' and all the rest. It took me two years before I got my chance to become sickingly tired of all those great old songs, and now I'd probably love to hear 'Female Mechanic' again, so it's funny how things work out.

Somebody posted earlier about how you see SY tour for an album and you know it's probably your only chance to hear most of those songs, which is 100% true and pretty much why it's more exciting for people who see them tour after tour and maybe less exciting for somebody going to see their first show as a huge fan of their entire catalog. I totally relate. Regardless, the new material is what excites the band most, and that's ultimately what matters...

True.

Although as a tour wears on they do do less songs from the album. I suspect come winter they'll get rid of a few songs from the new album, and add older songs.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|