View Single Post
Old 02.26.2011, 07:18 PM   #14147
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
See, it's a Banksy prankumentary. Why would Banksy make a film about some other artist? Because it's a creation OF Banksy!...Thierry -- MR. BRIANWASH -- isn't real, that's all part of the prank too. Oh, he's a real person, but he's not a real "artist", at least not in the absurd way portrayed in the film; it's simple Banksy making the absolute biggest mass marketed garbage. Get enough people to "like" it and people can't distinguish what's art and what's not. It goes far beyond peopel being full of shit, it goes into "MARILYN MANSON WITH A MARILYN MONROE WIG MAKING A MILLION DOLLARS". Anyone can do that, anyone with Photoshop at least.

It was all a hoax, hence the title. It was all about how street art is commercial now. Everything is commercial. Genius doc, because on one hand it really has a lot of awesome footage of grafitti and street artists. But by the end it's obviously all a big joke, and a hilarious one at that, especially if you've ever been around a bunch of snobby "artists".

The scene with Thierry in the wheelbarrow after "breaking his leg" sold it for me and from then on out is when it started getting more and more absurd, and hilariously so. Genius doc.

So, Banksy -- one of the most hilarious and brilliant artists of all time -- made a con, make a hoax, made "art" out of another person and sold it right back to the "art world" he despises. Brilliant.

It works on SO MANY levels. Banksy is such an amazing artist, period. Though it's easy to dismiss it as "occasionally clever stencil crap". Just like I'm sure it's easy for some people to dismiss this doc. Still, it is a brilliantly layered work where the less you know going in, the better.

If you just want a simple documentary about art being bullshit, watch MY KID COULD PAINT THAT.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|