View Single Post
Old 01.09.2011, 08:06 AM   #59
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Anyway, I've never liked In Utero. It has some great songs on it, some of their best even, but also their worst ever. Heart-Shaped Box goes nowhere, Tourettes is boring despite being a minute long, All Apologies is their most boring song ever, Rape Me is awful. Would've made a good EP. It seems like Kurt was wanting to go in a softer direction, but he was also probably burned by the people calling them sellouts and all that. The album is very uncomfortable and hard to sit through, which I guess may be some of the appeal. Live shows around that time fucking killed though, adding Pat Smear was a genius movie.
What kills me about Nirvana is that their best songs -- Blandest, Marigold, Sappy, SPANK THRU!, and so on -- are kinda buried and obscure, in a sense (nothing is really "obscure" because of the internet, but you know; they aren't household name songs). I watched LIVE AT READING dvd, and they really had a good sound live, but they played so many songs in a row that kinda just sounded exactly the same, very formulaic and boring. Only on BLEACH stuff did they really sound amazing, Negative Creep and even the simplicity of School really really worked, because they were creative and interesting. But all those Nevermind songs in a row really really dragged. For their encore, they played Spank THru (god that song rules), D7, Money Will Roll Right In, etc... which sounded AMAZING!

Also, I think "Polly" is just flat-out just a bad song. What's the appeal of that one, again?

...Anyway, I think Kurt/Nirvana definitely had some amazing stuff, but I think the reason I was so down on them for so long was because the stuff that is overplayed didn't do anything for me. Kurt was actually a talented and creative guitar player. BLEACH, INSESTICIDE, part of IN UTERO are amazing. All their b-sides and covers rock. But like I said, listening to MUDDY BANKS is really really does it for me. That's the record. They just sounded so good live, especialyl the tracks with Pat Smear. Also, the "Aneurysm" on that one is probably their best moment, ever.

I disagree! I just listened Bleach, Nevermind, Insesticide and In utero and I noticed that in my opinion the change of songwriting between Bleach and Nevermind is the thing that makes Nirvana great. Of course there is many great songs in Bleach also (Blew, About the girl, Love Buzz, Paper Cuts, Negative Creep and Downer) but I think most of them are quite mediocre. Also in Insesticide is many mediocre songs (Beeswax, Mexican Seafood, Hairspray queen) although I like that punky mood in it. But I think in Nevermind and In Utero Kobain found his composiotion ability and that makes Nirvana great. In my opinion All Apologies is their best song! And I also like both productions, Butch Vig in Nevermind and Steve in In utero.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|