View Single Post
Old 01.08.2011, 10:56 PM   #53
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
the best sounding track on rid of is the mansize version that isn't produced by steve

and i mean he says they fucked with the mix on in utero so i don't know who to blame but the bass sounds awful and it was always one of the best parts of nirvana

i don't mean to insult him because he's done some good stuff, but it's happened a few times that he's worked with people i like and the record has turned out sounding crappier than any of their other work, pj and nirvana are good examples

you're talking about the fact that man-size is a completely different thing, it doesn't have guitars or anything, it's just unexpected. It's probably what makes you feel the track is so amazing, and I agree. Fair enough, but bear in mind as far as I know Albini does not arrange anything, in fact he only accepts taking credit for engineering work. I think that is part of the reason why I admire his work so much, you get the a raw feel as if you can really hear the band and the artist in its most original form, a production that aims to be transparent, like no production at all, as he's not trying to have an input. That really works for some artists, and seems to get this really powerful in-your-face kind of sound.

So I guess we can't talk about him as a producer, but as an engineer. Since he doesn't really interfere, I don't think we can blame him for any bad albums.

As for PJ, I think her best album is 'to bring you my love', great production but that also had a lot to do with the songs and the change in direction. 'Rid of me' wouldn't have sounded so strong without Albini, all you have to do is listen to 'dry' to come to that conclusion. I love loud drums, so maybe I'm being bias, but I don't think anyone can say 'Surfer Rosa" is not the best.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|