View Single Post
Old 01.08.2011, 08:54 PM   #47
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I guess I didn't really understand what you meant when you said "Capturing feedback and harmonics". That just seemed like a somewhat bizarre thing to bring up at all.. "man, he gets great FEEDBACK SOUNDS." I mean, obviously yeah, recording live is going to sound good, but if you want the CLEAREST sound -- period -- you gotta run through the board. Obviously, we're talking about different things, because I guess you're saying he creates a dry sound you're into. Which, yeah, is his forte. And the only sound he knows how to produce. Which isn't a problem in my opinion, but I can see how someone would grow a distaste for that. I mean, if you buy some 250bpm punk album or something and then turn it over and see "engineered by Albini", you're probably going to scratch your head. I'm going to go back to my McLusky example. Most of their songs were midtempo and sounded great. But please listen to "DeThink to Survive" sometime, or the last song on Do Dallas.. "whatyouknow". These songs are punk speed and sound like lumbering giants. And also really really could've benefitted from some more guitar overdubs. Albini keeps it real, maybe too real, and it has a strangely artifical sound to everything he touches, despite it sounding kinda live too. It's a sound I dig, but I can definitely see someone thinking it was shit.

Also, I'm not defensive at all, I've just listened to so much of this guy's albums and really think he's one of the most important producers ever, for a certain type of sound.

And I think In Utero sounds great, aside from the non-existent bass. But I don't think it's a very good record. I think if Kurt had done that "mostly acoustic" album or something he was talking about, with Albini, it would've been awesome. And certainly songs like "dumb" sound amazing -- I think "Something in the Way" could have also benefitted from Albini's touch.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|