View Single Post
Old 01.08.2011, 08:45 PM   #46
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Like I said, and I'm sure Glice will agree, anything that is really fast, technical, or has a lot of instruments (aside from the GODSPEED album he did). Steve has ONE sound. It doesn't work for every band.
agreed, I was not suggesting all were good, I was just wondering what of the bad albums glice was mentioning, don't be so defensive

Quote:

That really has more to do with the band setup. No one is disputing that Albini has worked with some talented bands, and he knows how to set up mics to pick up certain sounds well. But his sound flat-out doesn't work on most bands. Really, now that you mention "Guitar oriented music", I really think he would have done a terrible job on something like Daydream Nation.

I disagree, I think Steve could have done a fine job with an album like Daydream Nation, a lot of the better albums he has recorded are similar sound.
Quote:
Also, the absolute best way to get a great feedback or harmonic sound is hooking your amp into the mixing board directly. Mess with some equalization, or the compression, should sound great. I think you're just saying you dig his very very dry sound. But so many bands don't work with that sound.
you are kidding me right? Preamps do not even create natural harmonics, that comes from actually resonating and vibrating air in the the real world. Going straight to the board gives that harsh, plastic, clipping sound or articificiality akin to one Bob Digi.. If you want to get the real sound of real feedback and the natural harmonic dynamics of the distored guitar, it has to be running through a good amp, a good speaker system, remarkably good microphones well-postitioned, a damn good engineer manning the knobs like they are an instrument themselves, and of course quality wide reel-to-reel. If you are suggesting anything else, I can hardly take you seriously, and this particular recording style is Steve Albini's forte, and even if it is his one good thing, what is wrong with that? We don't need him to be a more diverse engineer, there are plenty of bands who need his particular recording skills to get their own live sound on tape.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|