Thread: Rather Ripped
View Single Post
Old 12.08.2010, 01:08 PM   #128
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Thanx for your answer, now I know you donīt follow the mass.

About my method of music, I try not analyse it much. The feelings I get the music is the most important. Somehow I like the most extremely beatiful and also raw and odd feelings music bring to me.

There is no insecure about my taste of Sonic Albums. I have listened SY about twenty years. I love every Sonic album, although I was disappointed to experimental and NYC ghosts at first. I loved and listened Rather Ripped many years before I even joined this forum. And of course, nobody have to like RR if they just doesnīt like it. I just have been wondering why so many people hate it. There are many albums I donīt like, but I donīt hate them. And even the four years after that record there are still quite many who wants to mention now and then, how lousy record it is. To me itīs quite same what Sonic Youth does, if they want to make a Rock`aībilly-album, itīs ok to me. Maybe they donīt succeed in that, maybe they do. I think many people thinks that Sonic Youth betrayed them when they made RR. And if some artist is so important to them, I suggest that they have to look in the mirror very carefully.
I see your point and appreciate it. I didn't feel so much betrayed when the record came out as just plain let down. It's not the lack of a noisier side to RR that I feel is missing, that's only one component of of their sound which I think made them so great for years. It's that on this record there's no bite, no structural brilliance and stimulating references to the way the songs have been composed. I'm all fine with their initial aim to make a poppier record, but I think they accomplished that much better with The Eternal. To be honest, though, I feel that overall they stagnated since Sonic Nurse. I'd prefer they make records that feel more like Sonic Youth trying new things out, moving on, without particularly having to force a drastic re-thinking of their own music.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|