View Single Post
Old 08.27.2017, 12:39 PM   #28
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
last: what i meant by ego is the idea of who one is, which is a "i'm this, not that." we think we are this idea, so we spend energy to maintain it (e.g. kirk's "i need my pain."). putting other people down is a great way to do both things-- to separate one's concept from the other and to feel good about it. it's the core motor of human civilization. this is why we have social classes, etc.-- to fit one's self concept and to cast others in a different set of concepts.

oh, interesting article from this morning, slightly related:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...at-the-movies/

Sure. Also...

"I'm edgy outsider SY-listener; must make known even to fellow SY-listeners that we're edgy outsiders and we don't like lame stuff!"

Whatever. World doesn't work like that. I could live on Captain Beefheart and Ex-Ray Spex and the Fall and still bob my head to "Jack and Diane." I mean... I don't.. I hate that song... but I *could.*

I can be a film purist and still line up for the new Thor movie. I can be smart and like dumb things. I can be dumb and like "smart" things.

The whole "I am (x)" idea is socially destructive, and probably very much to blame for the sorry ass state of the world right now. Nobody is one thing. Identity is only partially permanent. Foundational. The rest of it, as a construct, is fluid, and changing. And it should be. Because being one thing just means you're not anything/everything else.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|