View Single Post
Old 12.15.2016, 11:58 AM   #20206
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
let me start by saying this is not a brag.

I am considered by the appointed testing authorities as a "smart" person. The tests all say this, and my people know I am a bit of a polymath whose intellectual interests are far ranging and that I am full of data. Because of this, I have friends and family and co-workers recommend me these movies, like Good Will Hunting, The Imitation Game, and A Beautiful Mind, always saying "You would love it! It is about this really smart person!" and invariably, I watch the film and find it wanting, mostly because the films are portraying supposedly very smart people in a manner that will allow the "regular" person to be awed or impressed by the protagonists amazing mind.

In other words, they are portrayed with a shorthand that lets non-smart people know that so-and-so is VERY SMART. I find this shit so tiresome and uninteresting and it ruins the shit for me.

Contact was a movie where nearly every single character is a VERY SMART person and they are portrayed like real humans, without the visual storytelling shorthand that telegraphs their "intelligence".

Re: One Hour Photo - I saw an hour of it, couldn't give a flying fuck about what I was seeing, and turned it off. I hated it but Robin was creepy and good in it.