View Single Post
Old 01.04.2016, 10:39 PM   #78
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
yeah did hear the jlin record, really just did not stick with me in the slightest. her tracks seemed overly skeletal and to be honest totally drained of any sense of joy. whereas rp boo's tracks are so minimal as to be somewhat formulaic, there's always a sense of forward momentum or some sort of melodic heft to what he's doing, not necessarily within an individual track but over the course of the record itself. what jlin's doing structurally with footwork is absolutely stunning and she deserves all the attention she's getting for it as the teklife guys dredge deeper into their sound (and in some instances have become arguably static), but her palette grates with me for some reason.

as for the levantis lp, I think a lot of people do know it's cunningham, but there was little (if any) promotion for it coming out on a sublabel designed for the purpose of low key releases. and I suppose in some respects it's a pretty minor record in relation to what's come before it under the actress moniker, what with the two longest tracks being versions of the same piece and the rest of the record being comprised of vignettes. it's a very strangely structured record and I would love to hear these tracks fleshed out but as it is it's a fantastic little record. suppose a great deal of his fanbase was alienated by ghettoville as well which could explain the lack of attention it received.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|