View Single Post
Old 06.12.2012, 08:51 PM   #15922
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Do people still think about him like that? I remember people talking in those terms around the time of Pulp Fiction but I tend to find mentioning his name nowadays is more likely to generate rolled eyes and dismissive sighs than anything else, even among those (like myself) who quite liked his earlier films.

I think Inglorious Bastards helped him quite a bit with the eye rollers, but it still didn't make up for the damage Kill Bill inflicted. I love Kill Bill, but it was too iconic and bombastic and kitschy for all the film school types, who would prefer iconoclastic and intentionally challenging films.

Bastards being 50% foreign language and 3+ hours long definitely helped, but it's nothing like it was in '94 with Pulp Fiction turning "Cannes" into a household word, and Reservoir Dogs being praised for its screenplay. I agree, those days are over. I love all of his films (Jackie Brown included, and Kill Bill possibly most of all!) but yeah name dropping Tarantino is always met with kind of a "oh, come on" look in most social situations.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|